Friday, September 30, 2011

Chris Kokesh and "Lucy"


Chris Kokesh is a relatively unknown singer-songwriter out of Portland with a very good release titled "October Valentine." One cut on it -- "Lucy" -- just gets it so right as a mother dying of cancer observes her two teenagers:

"My son’s just turning 15, he already tows the line
He’s so much like his father I know that he’ll be fine
Lucy is two years younger, but she smells like cigarettes
She still needs her mama, but she doesn’t know it yet"


The release is full of such gems. As Kokesh puts it: "I write songs about real people, and my audiences see themselves there. There are plenty of people who are louder and showier than I am. My strength is in my emotional connection with the song and the music. I believe in the stories I tell, and that comes through." 

To play the song, go to Chris' MySpace page and click on "Lucy"

No comments:

Post a Comment