Friday, October 7, 2011

About Steve Seskin & "Cactus in a Coffee Can"


Steve Seskin resides in the Bay Area, has recorded numerous albums and received many awards yet so many people are unaware of him and his talent. It's difficult to capture his songwriting style but my best attempt is simple yet profound.

As an example, here's one of his most moving (co-written with Allen Shamblin) -- "Cactus in a Coffee Can" in which an adoptee locates her dying birth mother, works out a degree of emotional closure yet all is bittersweet.

The first chorus goes:

"My mama's first love was crack
She made her livin' lyin' on her back
She gave me away on the day that I was born"


Then the daughter offers:  

She said, "The last 10 years I've spent trackin' her down
It just don't seem fair that when I finally found her she was almost gone
We had two weeks together to laugh and to cry
Two weeks to say hello and goodbye
She gave me this little cactus, said it's kinda like me,
It'll hurt you to hold it but it blooms every spring
"

Go here and click on #9 "Cactus in a Coffee Can"

No comments:

Post a Comment