Friday, December 30, 2011

Danny Schmidt and "The Company of Friends"

Danny Schmidt has a number of terrific releases out -- the same with songs -- and it's past time for a highlight here.

Therefore, I'm going with "The Company of Friends" on his "Little Grey Sheep" offering.

Here is Schmidt's description of his creation:
"I wrote this song after the death of my friend, RB Smith . . . a beloved member of the Charlottesville community. So beloved, in fact, that at the viewing of his body before his burial ceremony, the line went from the funeral home, out to the street, and around the block. And it got me thinking what it's important to accumulate in life and what's not so important. This song is a re-evaluation thanks to RB."
It opens with:
"When I die, let them judge me by my company of friends
Let them know me as the footprints that I left upon the sand
Let them laugh for all the laughter
Let them cry for laughter’s end
But when I die, let them judge me by my company of friends ..."
Later, he details what he believes in. It's terrific and moving. Below is a video of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment