Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sean Tyrrell "Lights of Little Christmas" "Mattie" "The Rising of the Moon" "Cry of a Dreamer"

Sean Tyrrell is one of the more innovative singer-songwriters in that he creates his own material but is also known for adapting the poems of others to music.

Below is the best Tyrrell I could locate on YouTube:

"Lights Of Little Christmas"



When the snow lies on the hillside like the ghost of being born
And the wind makes praying fingers in the shadows of the thorn
There’s someone I often think of wishing, somehow she’d return
Though I know she’s in some city watching coloured neons burn

In the still and silent midnight thoughts unbidden come to mind
Shades of pictures in an album labelled,‘Those were better times.’
And that girl she smiles out sweetly, sitting pretty in the frame
Blowing out her penny candles and I hear her call my name

Chorus
And the lights of Little Christmas shine so brightly in the west
Saying please come home we miss you
and we wish you all the best
yes, we wish you all the best

Now another winter marches ‘cross the fields of frozen stone
And another Little Christmas finds me quietly at home
Til the telephone starts ringing and I go totake the call
Someone asking, ‘Do you know me? Do you know this voice at all?

Never in a lifetime could I be made to forget
In a journey of a thousand miles I remember every step
And, yes, I know those sweet lips that are so close to the phone
Is she here or in America? Is she home or is she gone?

Chorus
And the lights of Little Christmas shine so brightly in the west
Saying please come home we miss you
and we wish you all the best
yes, we wish you all the best

 She says I just got into Shannon and I think I’m home to stay
Could you come and pick me up down here. There’s a word you’ve got to say

And I’ve barely put the phone down and the keys are in my hand
And each little light that I pass by says right here’s your promised land.
Yes, each little light that I pass by says right here’s your promised land.

+++++

"Mattie" 



Mattie walked out on a frozen night
He was headin’ for the pub and he had no delight
His head down on the railroad track
And his old cow Delia sad lowin’ him back.

He met with a dark and staggerin’ man
as he passed him by shouted back at him:
“Mattie can’t you see what’s become of me?
I cannot feel the fin.”

“The very last house that I have left
Half impressed with my rhymes
They’re now all dead to me
All I’ve got left is the beat of the stagger
Headin’ down the Curra Line.”

But Mattie passed on as quick as he could
He couldn’t stand such a drunken man sober
All he wanted was the light in the bar
The “Nightingale” and the “Wild Rover”.

When he came in
They were sayin’: “Now you’re back
Did Delia drive you out
With your spoutin’ and your swearin’?
We don’t want to hear about Bunker Hayden
But later you can give us the ‘Girls of Kinkane’.”

The fear-a-ti eyed him warily
As he handed him his first jar of porter
He says: “You must have seen the bishop’s ghost tonight
To put the dry look back in your eye.”

But Mattie would not be taken in
By their jibin’ and their regalin’
He found himself a freshly blown crew
And fell in with their sport and their bailin’.

But as he was going home, in the very same spot
Where he met his dark familiar
He seen him comin’ back down the line
And he was bright, strange and fine.

As he passed him by Mattie threw out his arms
Tryin’ to grab hold of his likeness.
In the morning all they found was a frozen corpse
At the butt of the Curra Line.

And at the wake
They were lashin’down
“The drops of brandy-“
“The old fashioned habit-“
In the church they were lashin’ down pounds and fivers
So Mattie would be fine in the old by and by.

+++++

"The Rising Of The Moon" 



Tyrrell re-writes the original lyrics -- have yet to find his verses.

+++++

"Cry Of A Dreamer"



+++++

No comments:

Post a Comment