Monday, October 27, 2014

Folk Music & Social Issues #2

Neal Hagberg (of Neal & Leandra) wrote this song. It begins rather innocuously, leads into what could be interpreted as ominous considering what is known of history and then the 'surprise' is unveiled.


Ready for Memphis

Three ties and my black suit
Shaving kit and shiny shoes
Dusted off an old suitcase
Tucked in my bible and a bottle of booze

Fifty bucks in my pocket
Try to get me a cheap room
Three days, then it’s over
It’s just something I’ve got to do

Chorus
I’m ready for Memphis
There’s going to be a big meeting there
A whole lot could happen
There’s just something in that sweet magnolia air

Ten hours on a Greyhound
Old ladies and stale air
Hopeless men riding shotgun
I just look out my window and stare

Pick away at my sack lunch
My wife packed it before work
She thinks I’m crazy
She’s afraid that I’ll get hurt, but…

Chorus

Memphis streets are deserted
I guess because it’s so early
Garbage piled on the corners
I pick up an old paper and read
Feels like a storm coming
The air is hot and sticky
I’d better find a motel room
So I can wash up and be ready

Chorus

I heard he was coming
I don’t want to be late
I know I’m not colored
But I don’t think that should matter in 1968
I know it’s a long shot
But it would mean everything
If I could just shake hands
With Dr. King

Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment