Sunday, October 23, 2016

Garnet Rogers - "Summer's End I"

For all his hulking and imposing self, Garnet Rogers is a softie and we are all the better for that. He has created a myriad of songs sustaining this statement and one of those is "Summer's End I."


This night is still and quiet
Summer's almost past.
There's a cricket with a socket wrench
In the dry and dusty grass.
Above our heads a breath of wind
Is rattling the leaves.
The last swallows of the season
Have fled their nests beneath the eaves.

And you and I we sit together
In the dark beneath the trees.
I move my chair close to yours
As we sit and drink our tea.
We talk together in the quiet
And try to reckon up the cost.
And bind our wounds and count the scars
From all that we have lost.

And the days they hurry by.
Running on together.
Until you can't recall a time before sorrow touched your heart
And left its mark on you forever.

So maybe somewhere precious rain falls
On a parched and barren earth
Maybe somewhere in a house filled with love
There's a mother giving birth.
A small child's fever breaks.
Parents breathe a prayer and sigh.
And a soul somewhere in deep despair
Lifts his eyes unto the sky.
And I look into the heavens
And I stare into the black
And I laugh at those who say God shapes the load to fit your back.
There's no Golden Throne beyond the Veil.
No angel choirs above.
And Hell is just outliving everyone you've known and loved.
And all of those who we have loved and lost from near and far
They've left us here to carry on
Beneath cold indifferent stars.

And the days they hurry by…

And so for now we muddle on.
I guess that is the way.
And try to look a little further down the road
And not just day to day
I know you'll look out for me
As I look out for you.
And we'll live in hope for better days.
It's the best that we can do.


And the days…

No comments:

Post a Comment