Sunday, August 6, 2017

Lisa Bigwood's "The Ballad of Charlie Asher"


The singing begins around the 3:10 mark.

"The Ballad of Charlie Asher"

got a little red horse that I like to ride around 
I’m not real social so I ride him out past town
on a cabin porch there stood a long-haired man
he stood in silence he didn’t raise his hand
I’d ride by to a pond I’d found
with my head down and my hair down
and my eyes upon the ground
after a while you know at night I’d lie awake 
wonder who he was in his cabin by the lake
so I asked around
I said who is that long-haired man
they said that’s Charlie Asher, he don’t give a damn,
he lives on what they gave him
for his leg after the war 
and he just ain’t too much use to society no more

got caught in the rain one day back by the pond
beating it for home found an army coat on a log
it said Asher on the pocket
it smelled like dust
scrawled in ink on one sleeve
the words "in God we trust"
well he don’t like a man
who loses much no more 
so I took it as a gift 
and hung it by my door

in my head I composed a thank you note
sat at my desk and this is what I wrote
well you don’t look like a man
who loses much no more
so I thank you for the gift
it’s hanging by my door
I took a kitten and I ran in real fast
left it on the porch while he was down in back 
added to the note, hey dear Charlie here’s a friend,
if he’s inconvenient I can take him back again.
now two pair of eyes watch as I ride by
Charlie and the cat on the porch side by side

one winter day he was waiting by the path,
cat around his legs,
braid down his back.
he said I’m Charlie Asher and I don’t believe
we’ve met... well at least we ain’t talked yet
Nice little horse there
looks like he’s your friend
when our eyes met I wished Charlie’s eyes would mend
I went into town, he said, the other day
your picture on a poster
said to come and hear you play
I didn’t know you was musical 
and I sure would be obliged
if you’d bring you guitar down
and play for me sometime

well, it just so happens Charlie 
I wrote a song for you
it’s down and dirty simple
but the message still comes through
your past is like a blanket boy 
woven tight and warm
if you don’t know how to use it, 
it can do you harm
don’t wear it on your head, boy
don’t wear in on your eyes
there it can smother you
it can make you blind
wear it on your shoulders
like a coat or like a shawl
it might get heavy sometimes
but you can stand up tall

now I play for Charlie
he makes me tea
we drink in silence
quiet company
he don’t offer information
about what he’s seen and heard 
he just says play that song again 
you know I love the words

No comments:

Post a Comment