Sunday, October 15, 2017

Here's another offering in the perfect song grouping (again, not greatest song -- that's a different category.)



"I Came to a Western Island" - Archie Fisher

I came to a western island as far as a man can walk is my land
I cleared ten acres and a house I built, into the side of the hill

The roof leaks, the windows rattle and the grass in the high ground won't feed cattle
The west wind blowin' off the sea makes it hard to grow a tree

One cow in a lean-to bier, a spring close by and a driftwood fire
A clear view of the settin' sun and 12 gauge hammer gun

I keep sheep, I fish deep water in a high bowed boat called the Neptune's daughter
She will ride any western gale and can carry a stack of sails

Some nights when the bright lights flicker I sail to the mainland for my liquor
I haven't got a woman to call my own but I never wake up alone

A man needs to feel the ground and wind to tell him that the world spins round
To watch the stars and taste the sea, and woman to keep him free

I came to a western island, as far as a man can walk is my land
I cleared ten acres and a house I built, into the side of the hill

No comments:

Post a Comment