Friday, January 1, 2021

Rodney Crowell reflecting


Rodney Crowell reflecting is as good as it gets. Try on these three masterpieces:

"I Don't Care Anymore" 2020 video from Crowell's "Close Ties" release

The lyrics:

"I used to pull my britches on with just one thing in mind

Make the girls believe that I'm the last one of my kind

Silver toe tips on my boots and a mullet head of hair

All designed to walk into a room and make somebody stare

I don't care anymore if I don't stand out in a crowd

I was better off before I tried to make my mother proud


I came to town a dreaming I could make my mark in spades

Forty odd years later all my best cards have been played

It's a hard knock situation when the accolades bestowed

On your every last creation cries out middle of the road

I don't care anymore about the fortune and the fame

I was better off before I tried to make myself a name


All the money that I blew through like some boot black off the farm

Could not have vanished quicker if I'd shot it in my arm

Some so and so says don't you know the limit is the sky

Next thing I remember I'm unlearning how to fly

I don't care anymore


All those party dolls and favors that I savored from day one

Add up to next to nothing after all is said and done

A real friend tried to tell me man with all respect it's true

The time to put away these things is long since overdue


If indeed I do get lonesome in my mansion on the hill

There's this neighbor's wife I covet for her beauty and her skill

The way she puts herself together sleek in vagabond couture

Makes each mailbox conversation one more heartache to endure

I don't care anymore who does what and why

I was better off before when I was just another guy


I've been lied on, spied on, cried on, tried on, taken for a ride you bet

Fracked, cracked, smacked jack, what you see is what you get

I've been spit at, hit at, quit at, shit at, shouldn't hurt a bit at, what I'm trying to get at

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice and put the blame on

I don't care anymore"

and

"It Ain't Over Yet"  2017 video from Crowell's "Close Ties" release

The lyrics:

It's like I'm sitting at a bus stop waiting for a train

Exactly how I got here is hard to explain

My heart's in the right place, what's left of it I guess

My heart ain't the problem, it's my mind that's a total mess

With these rickety old legs and watery eyes

It's hard to believe that I could pass for anybody's prize

Here's what I know about the gifts that God gave

You can't take 'em with you when you go to the grave


It ain't over yet, ask someone who ought to know

Not so very long ago we were both hung out to dry

It ain't over yet, you can mark my word

I don't care what you think you heard, we're still learning how to fly

It ain't over yet


For fools like me who were built for the chase

Takes the right kind of woman to help you put it all in place

It only happened once in my life, but man you should have seen

Her hair two shades of foxtail red, her eyes some far out sea blue green

I got caught up making a name for myself, you know what that's about

One day your ship comes rolling in and the next day it rolls right back out

You can't take for granted none of this shit

The higher up you fly boys, the harder you get hit


It ain't over yet, I'll say this about that

You can get up off the mat or you can lay there till you die

It ain't over yet, here's the truth my friend

You can't pack it in and we both know why

It ain't over yet


Silly boys blind to get there first

Think of second chances as some kind of curse

I've known you forever and ever it's true

If you came by it easy, you wouldn't be you

Make me laugh, you make me cry, you make me forget myself


Back when down on my luck kept me up for days

You were there with the right word to help me crawl out of the maze

And when I almost convinced myself I was hipper than thou

You stepped up with a warning shot fired sweet and low across the bow

No you don't walk on water and your sarcasm stings

But the way you move through this old world sure makes a case for angel wings

I was halfway to the bottom when you threw me that line

I quote you now verbatim, "Get your head out of your own behind"


It ain't over yet, what you wanna bet

One more cigarette ain't gonna send you to the grave

It ain't over yet, I've seen your new girlfriend

Thinks you're the living end, great big old sparkle in her eye

It ain't over yet

and 

"The Traveling Kind"  2015 video, title song and Grammy nominee from Crowell's "The Traveling Kind" release"

The lyrics: 

We don't all die young to save our spark

From the ravages of time

But the first and last to leave their mark

Someday become the traveling kind


In the wind are names of poets past

Some were friends of yours and mine

And to those unsung, we lift our glass

May their songs become the traveling kind


We were born to brave this tilted world

With our hearts laid on the line

Be it way-crossed boy or red dirt girl

The song becomes the traveling kind


There are mountains worth their weight in gold

Mere mortals dare not climb

Come ye tipsy, sainted, sinners both

And claim them for the traveling kind


When the music slowly starts to fade

Into the light's last soft decline

Let us lie down in that evening shade

And rest among the traveling kind

And the song goes on for the traveling kind

No comments:

Post a Comment